Google Penguin 2.0 Update Means Focus On Great Content
The Google Penguin 2.0 Update of the Penguin webspam algorithm was released 05/22/13 and the rollout is complete. Google has updated the Famed Penguin update 3 times in the past, but this is the first change to the algorithm and why it has been dubbed the Google Penguin 2.0 Update. As usual Google, and Matt Cutts are pretty vague about what they are really changing.
According to Matt Cutts, “About 2.3% of English-US queries are affected to the degree that a regular user might notice.”
Google Penguin 2.0 Update Summary
As you can watch in the video below:
- Matt starts off reminding everyone that if you build a quality site, with great content you will be rewarded.
- Penguin 2.0 will have a deeper impact on web spam than did Penguin 1.0.
- Paying for an ad space just for SEO benefit will be affected. (In other words sites that are charging a fee for you to place a link on their site just for the purpose of SEO)
- Stricter on Payday Loans and Pornographic search queries (I don’t think this will have any effect on my readers)
- Better detection of Hacked sites, and better communication with the owner of hacked sites.
- Doing a better job of recognizing when someone is an Authority in a particular niche or space.
- Help for legitimate sites that may have been hit by Panda… which is being penalized for having links on low quality websites.
- Less likely to see multiple clusters of the same website.
- Work on getting more information in general to website owners.
For the most part as long as you are not using “Black Hat” SEO techniques you should be just fine with the Google Penguin 2.0 Update.